Garmin Forerunner 10 Review
If you are looking for a watch that offers excellent GPS technology, so that you can measure your running workouts in a more convenient and accurate manner, then your wait is over. Garmin has recently introduced their simplest GPS running watch called the Forerunner 10. Read more for the Garmin Forerunner 10 review.
Garmin Forerunner 10 Review
The Garmin Forerunner 10 is a GPS-enabled sports watch that allows new or casual runners to track their running distances, speed/pace, duration of runs and the amount of calories burned from their wrist. The watch is very simple to use and the company is most likely trying to appeal and target the new or casual runner segment.
The Garmin 10 is probably one of the simplest GPS sports watches currently available on the market and the design is not bad either. The Forerunner 10 makes it more convenient and accurate to measure workouts because it does not require you to set up or calibrate pedometer-type stride measurements.
The Forerunner 10 is available in many different colors and sizes to cater to most runners. The red and black models have a larger watch face and wider wristband over the green and pink models and with a RRP of $129.99, the Garmin 10 is pretty inexpensive and affordable to reach most runners.
The Good Stuff
1. Easy Start: The wristwatch is very easy to use and works straight out of the box so you can start your runs immediately. All you need to do is to press a button to activate GPS and you are ready to go.
2. Clear display: The clear display makes reading your vital running statistics easy while running. The watch makes reading your current pace, distances, time and calories burned clear and easy.
3. Mile marker: The Garmin 10 can be set to notify you every time you pass a mile, which is useful for runners that want to know each time they pass the mile mark.
4. Compact size: Garmin have done a great job in producing a light, comfortable and small running watch that looks pretty stylish. Packed with most features that runners need, the Garmin 10 is an affordable option for new or casual runners.
5. The Garmin Connect is a superb free online facility that allows runners to upload and track their workouts that can be shared with family or friends.
6. The Garmin 10 is available in a range of cool and funky colors to suit everyone. Available colors include red/black, pink, purple, green and black/orange.
7. Relatively inexpensive watch with RRP of $129.99, which is pretty impressive considering there are not many watches at the same price point that offer the same features.
The Bad Stuff
1. Battery life for training mode is up to 5-hours so you cannot use the GPS continuously.
2. The display is not completely customizable as you have to choose between six different screen options that can only display two different readings at any one time. The screen display options include time and distance, time and current place, time and calories, pace and distance, distance and calories and pace and calories. But this should be more than enough to suit most runners and you can easily switch views at a press of a button.
3. The sound level of the notification beeps could be better as the sounds could easily be missed when running outdoors or on a treadmill in a noisy gym.
4. The Garmin Connect software is not yet compatible with Google Chrome, which is one of the most commonly used web browsers.
5. No option to use with a heart rate monitor.
- Display Screen size is approx. 2.1 cm – W x H: 0.81” x 0.77”
- Display resolution (W x H): 55 x 32 pixels
- Water resistant to up to 50 meters
- GPS-enabled technology
- Shows history of the last 7 activities
- Garmin Connect compatible
- Auto pause feature
- Auto lap – after every lap, it records the data
- Available in customizable screens
- Shock resistant
- Virtual pacer – which helps compare current running pace to target pace
- Run and walk feature
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Battery life of up to 5 weeks (power-save mode) and up to 5 hours (training mode)
- Record positions, speed/pace, distance, and calories
What’s in the Box?
The box carries the following items:
- 1 x Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Sports’ Watch
- 1 x USB charging or data clip cord
- 1 x User Manual
- 1 x Expander strap
- 1 x AC charger
What Other People Say About the Garmin Forerunner 10
Finally, a great looking women’s GPS watch! – “As soon as I heard that the forerunner 10 would be hitting the market I did a ton of research on the thing to figure out if it was right for me or not. This is my first GPS watch so I wanted to familiarize myself with all the features and consider if indeed this was the one for me. In the past I was aware that Garmin watches are great but I must say, they are not very attractive (for most women’s smaller wrists). This compared with their price point kept me away but the F10 is very affordable and cute in either pink/green”. By B. Hernandez (FL.)
Perfect watch for runners like me – “Clearly, Garmin is segmenting its market and therefore this watch isn’t for everyone. As other reviewers have pointed out, it has shortcomings such as the display and calculation of current pace. But it also has the positives of relatively low price and small size.” By Anonymous
Perfect – “Today I ran a mile with my 13 yr old after dinner. We wanted to run in the rain and I knew the watch could handle it. It wouldn’t locate me in the house this time, but it was very overcast and raining, once I stepped outside it took about 45 secs. Again it worked wonderfully for the run and I enjoyed checking out my stats and seeing when I got my fastest mile time on the watch!” By Shannon
Video on Garmin Forerunner 10
The Garmin Forerunner 10 has continued to provide the high quality build that is now expected from most Garmin watches. One of the most impressive features of the Garmin 10 is the built-in GPS that is able to quickly find and lock onto a GPS location in under a minute. Although, the company has designed this watch to be small and lightweight than all their other models, it still continues to maintain the same GPS accuracy and a blazing fast satellite lock that is often associated with their higher end models.
What particularly makes the Forerunner 10 appealing and practical is the fact that you can happily wear and use as a normal everyday watch. This should appeal to new and casual runners looking for an all-in-one solution to their running needs, which we think Garmin have done well to reach out to.
Although the Garmin Forerunner 10 is not perfect, Garmin have done pretty well to design an inexpensive, simple yet stylish GPS sports watch that allows any new or casual runner to track their distances, speed, pace and calories at a press of a button. The watch also allows runners to identify their personal bests while keeping runners motivated with the Virtual Pacer feature.
Still Don’t Like the Garmin 10?
If you still don’t like the Garmin Forerunner 10 after reading this review, be sure to check out some of the other top running watches available here.